POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some flower reference needed : Re: Some flower reference needed Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some flower reference needed
Date: 14 Mar 2002 12:34:07
Message: <3c90df0f$1@news.povray.org>
> like that in english). Want I need is some
> reference photos, some suggestions on how

tried google?

> to model (probably Mesh) and adjust the lighting

my best experiences with my fern model was modelling as a mesh. it is easy
to save and load in a file and renders very fast.

> of the flower (the pedals, if thats how the "wings" of
> the flower is called, look more like scattering
> transparency, how do that with mesh?).

i had the same problem on my fern. i discussed this in the p.a-u and got
some very useful hints although i finally decided not to use the scattering
thing since my PC is simply to slow for it. (old Pentium 200MHz).

The soultion was : use media in an (closed!) mesh. you could give an
interior to each triangle (although the you can't use a mesh object anymore
but single triangles). But the thing has to be CLOSED with a hollow
interior.

you could also give an interior on the mesh object. use scattering media
with some filtering and a very high density. the only problem left is: plant
leaves blur the light shining through wich can't be simulated by media. the
solution i found was to use a very wrinkled normal pattern (like bumps in a
very small scale) and give a very high IOR on the interior. this results is
a acceptable "blur". at least for objects not too close to the leaf.

> Anyone got experience with tracing flowers in POV?

yes :-)
look in p.b.i for the fern thread....

BTW: the fern was created by my set of macros which should be able to be
used for modelling many different plants. due to the lack of time it is not
even at beta stage and the only plant realised up to today is the fern (to
80%)

regards
SY