POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Translucent materials : Re: Translucent materials Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucent materials
From: Hugo
Date: 13 Mar 2002 03:22:26
Message: <3c8f0c42$1@news.povray.org>
> How can I make a translucent material? I have a plastic piece I'm trying
> model. When I look at it with a light behind it I can see the light shine
> through but I can't discern any shapes or such.

I just posted a reply in the binaries group where I said you could try
subsurface scattering. Please remember, for this to work your model will
need to have a realistic, solid thickness. Then you can open this solid
inside with the "hollow" keyword and apply media as texture.

Btw, don't start off with a lot of media intervals ... Zeger's code (that
you will find by reading my other post) has 50 intervals but try 5 or 10 for
a major speedup.

Regards,
Hugo