POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : POV Ray How Tos : Re: POV Ray How Tos Server Time
18 May 2024 19:47:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Ray How Tos
From: Mitchell Waite
Date: 11 Mar 2002 09:35:51
Message: <3c8cc0c7$1@news.povray.org>
If you want to see almost all the Waite Group titles check out
www.mitchwaite.com and click on the Books icon. There are tons of Bibles
listed.

Your definition of what a Bible is in the technical sense is wrong. Bibles
are compendiums of everything, they satisfy all level of readers, from
beginners to advanced users. Spend some time at the computer book section of
Borders and you'll see my point. I like the Bible title, it seems to sum up
our outline better than anything I have thought of so far. And I have not
heard one good reason so far not to use it. But I am always open to new
title ideas so a contest would be fun.

Mitch

"Harold Baize" <bai### [at] itsaucsfedu> wrote in message

> Hmmm, I bought three or four Waite Group books, but none
> had "Bible" in the title. I liked "Image Lab", that had nice scientific
> and creative "mad scientist" associations.
>
> Here is another reason not to use the Bible title. Typically
> a "Bible" text is produced for something the buyer is already
> using, but the reality is that most people who are potential
> buyers have never heard of POV-Ray, so they would not
> see a need for a bible. Rather, they might be interested in a
> comprehensive introduction. Somehow it needs to convey
> both the all encompassing definitive information source of a
> bible, yet be novice friendly.
>
> Maybe we could have a title contest :-)
>
> Harolddd
>
> "Mitchell Waite" <mit### [at] dnaicom> wrote in message
> > If you do some research on Amazon you'll find that I was the first
> publisher
> > to use the word Bible in a computer book. Its almost synonymous with
Waite
> > Group. I also pioneered the How To line, as well as Primers, Papers,
> Tricks
> > of the ___ Masters, ____ Creations, Playhouses, SuperBibles, ____ Lab,
> > Construction Kit, Interactive Courses.
> >
> > I still like Bible. But I would be open to something different and more
> > reverent like POV Ray: From Hell and Back, or maybe POV Ray New
Testament