POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I need math help : Re: I need math help Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need math help
From: =Bob=
Date: 5 Mar 2002 23:50:56
Message: <3c85a030$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Tor,

Thanks again for helping me. I think either I didn't
explain my needs correctly, or I don't understand
how to implement your suggestions for my case.

Here's my scenario:

I have 62 meters over which I must move an object.
It is currently moving at 1 meter per sec.
I want to come to a complete stop when I get to 62 meters.
I want to gradually slow down for the duration of those 62 meters.
I have no idea how many steps it will take.

The magic number for this example is about 0.008009

As I subtract the magic number from the current
increment value (starting at 1), when I reach the 62
meter mark, the increment value is very close to 0.

Code snippet kluge:
================================
#declare len = 62;
#declare inc = 1;
#declare currpos = 0;
#declare incChg = 0.008009;  // how do I calculate this number?
#declare nStepCt = 0;

#while (currpos <= len & inc >= incChg)
   #debug concat("CurrPos: ",str(currpos,0,-1),"  Inc: ",str(inc,0,-1),"\n")
   #declare inc = inc - incChg;
   #declare currpos = currpos + inc;
   #declare nStepCt = nStepCt + 1;
#end // while

#debug concat("Steps: ",str(nStepCt,0,-1)," incChg: ",str(incChg,0,-1),"\n")
This takes 124 steps to complete.

How do I calculate the value of "incChg" ?
Maybe there's a better way to do this?
Thanks again for your kind help...
=Bob=