POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with 'Cloth'-grid thing : Help with 'Cloth'-grid thing Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Help with 'Cloth'-grid thing
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 5 Mar 2002 14:04:28
Message: <3c8516bc@news.povray.org>
I am wanting to code something similar to a cloth, as has been done by
several people recently, but with one main difference. I envisage my 'cloth'
(henceforth called Grid) to be made of fixed length connectors, not springs.
I am not trying to emulate any real-world behaviour, but am more concerned
with learning how to code such a thing. All I want to do at first is to drop
my Grid over a sphere. However, I really don't know where to start.

I need help/hints/pointing to tutorials which will help me set up my Grid,
connect the points (with either cylinders or as a mesh), check for
collisions with objects (a simple sphere and plane would suffice to help me
understand the process), and apply forces such as Gravity and Wind.

Basically, I am unsure of how to do almost all of the above... talk of Euler
and Runge-Kutta are *way* beyond me. Would anyone have any thoughts on how I
should proceed?

All the best,

Andy Cocker