POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL : Re: ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL Server Time
15 May 2024 02:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL
From: Wolfgang Thaller
Date: 4 Mar 2002 08:56:34
Message: <3c837d12@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I'm sure the parsing behavior of Povray will change in future versions,
> megapov already contains some approaches for this (Persistence of
> Variables, Persistence of Scenes), and even with current official Povray
> small and efficient scenes can render very fast, up to 10-15 fps (the POV
> parser is probably much faster than your one).

It may well be that future versions of POV-Ray may be better suited to
the task. However, I think it isn't right now, and it certainly wasn't
when I started my project about one and a half years ago (I didn't work
on it full-time, of course!).
I chose not to write VOP as a part of POV-Ray for several reasons, one of
which I have already explained. Another reason is that it would be much
harder to maintain the code if it was part of POV-Ray. If someone changed
part of POV-Rays internal architecture to optimize something, I'd have
to immediately adapt my program. If I stopped working on my code, It would
be gone within a year.
The third reason is that I simply did not want to write the program in C,
which is a prerequisite for integrating it with POV-Ray.
So, please, give my program a chance - don't criticise it for not being
something that it was never intended to be.

Yours sincerely,

Wolfgang Thaller