POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedural default human skin normal & finish in English? : Re: Procedural default human skin normal & finish in English? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Procedural default human skin normal & finish in English?
From: Anto Matkovic
Date: 28 Feb 2002 14:50:27
Message: <3c7e8a03@news.povray.org>
I think the best thing for start is skin shader by Matt Pharr, which
implements skin subsurface shading model;
it works with POVMan, both are downloadable in English from
http://tofbouf.free.fr/clothray/download_en.html
One of my messy workarounds with it looks like this:

#declare skin_pigment = color rgb < 0.99, 0.97,  0.92 >;
#declare skin_as = color rgb 1;
#declare skin_amb = (< 0.8, 0.44,  0.4>*0.6 );
#declare skin_mat = material {
    texture {
        pigment

            shader {
                shader_file "skin.slp"
                "As"  skin_as*1
                "skinColor"  skin_pigment
            }
        }
        finish

            ambient skin_amb
            diffuse 0.6
            specular 0.1 roughness 0.5
phong 0.1 phong_size 7
metallic 1}
normal {granite 0.07 scale 0.5}}}

I have a long history with this question, and have to say that is very hard
to say an unique formula. Probably main thing is varying of color of skin:
from yellow in highlights to red in shade, which is hard to do with POV. POV
doesn't support specular colour (highlight colour...)independent of the
light color.
In workaround above, different pigment and ambient color, plus metallic
finish, are tryings to simulate just this, specular color. Price is horribly
red look with radiosity, because of wild ambient color...

Hair: this depend of kind of object which hold it. Some good results can be
done with 'aniso' shader, coming also with POVMan examples.

BTW, how POV 3.5 stay with materials (textures, shaders, finishes, whatever
you like) with
'inverse-anisotropic-or unusually at all-highlights', like a velvet, human
skin, hair?

Anto
ant### [at] matkoviccom
http://matkovic.com/anto