POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : chr(0) problem : Re: chr(0) problem Server Time
6 Aug 2024 20:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chr(0) problem
From: Gleb
Date: 28 Feb 2002 10:35:30
Message: <3c7e4e42$1@news.povray.org>
"W?odzimierz ABX Skiba" <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote in message

> You know, POV-Ray is a raytracer not... everything.

> It is supposed to take script as input with SDL and produce image as
output.

Well, I agree, maybe it was before, but now it is almost... everything.

Now it takes not only a script as input, but also some binary files

(images, dencity) and possibility to interact with them (trace).

Moreover, POV SDL has almost unlimited abilities for creation such a files

with unique effects.

> Writing binary files with SDL is like writing viruses with it - erhaps

> possible but more efficient with external, specialized tool.

The danger of viruses is not a point at all, you know, there are pure
text-looking ones.

From the other point, for example, possibility of reading

binary data into array and loading a "binary image" of

once parsed huge complex object would save a lot of time and/or space.

> For example in my case I can export all values as text and produce proper
df3

> file with external tool written in any free compiler. The problem is my

> laziness :-)

I do appreciate this, but again, to create some files one need POV or
similar

engine. By the way, a binary file produced with your recent beta-test code

looks very interesting when interpreting as an image.

I like POV as it is, but imho tendency of the development itself

will take it's own anyway.

Regards,

Gleb