POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I am calculating a normal... : Re: I am calculating a normal... Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I am calculating a normal...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 Feb 2002 06:18:05
Message: <3c7e11ed@news.povray.org>

Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg>  wrote:

> AFAIK
>
> -1 != -1.#IND
>
> btw: I didn't found any place in 3.5 documentation where "#IND" is noted
> and/or explained. It can confuse newbies.

It is an artifact of the C library used.  Results may be different for
different C libraries and thus this cannot be noted in the documentation.
Further, checking for NANs and other invalid floating-point values was not
part of the C standard until C99, so many compilers don't support those recent
improvements yet.  For this reason, it remains the users' responsibility to
only feed valid input into the various floating-point calculations in order to
get valid output...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde