POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular reflection color : Re: Specular reflection color Server Time
6 Aug 2024 22:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular reflection color
From: Michael Smith
Date: 27 Feb 2002 18:08:32
Message: <3c7d66f0@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly wrote in message <3c7ca899$1@news.povray.org>...

>Hmm, can an image map be used in a layered texture? Can you select
>the ocean in an graphics prog with magic wand or something and then
>layer this over the main image map? I've never tried to do this, so I'm not
>sure what is or isn't possible in this respect...

Fortunately I have an 8-bit water mask image to use. When saved to the
alpha-channel of a cloudless Earth image all the water becomes
transparent and the land remains opaque.

I then create a layered texture material with the lower layer imagemap
being the cloudless Earth image with NO alpha-channel mask. I give
this layer a finish with a specular reflection.

On the upper layer I put the cloudless Earth imagemap WITH the alpha-
channel mask. I give this layer a finish with NO specular reflection.

The result is the upper layer will prevent all specular reflections EXCEPT
in those areas where it is transparent (the water areas). Cool. :-)

Regards,

Mike