POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : No Quit in OS X : Re: No Quit in OS X Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No Quit in OS X
From: Wolfgang Thaller
Date: 27 Feb 2002 04:28:28
Message: <3c7ca6bc$1@news.povray.org>
> Oh, sure, if I bloat the code to inifinity all problems of the Mac OS X UI
can
> be fixed by the application code.  For example it is about 50 lines of
code
> just to move the damn menus around to match Job's idiotic ideas of how Mac
OS
> X should look like :-(

50 lines?
Well, the Quit item should work as soon as the Quit Apple Event is handled
properly, which it should anyway (since System 7.0).
And removing the Quit item on MacOS X should be just a matter of two or
three lines (if you already know you're on MacOS X... add another five lines
for a call to Gestalt if you don't know yet).
At least it works that way in my programs, and I happen to _like_ the idea
of a quit item in the application menu... what exactly did "Quit" have to do
with "File" in the first place (and why did Microsoft copy it)?

> According to the Apple documentation, [...]
> [...] There does not have to be a Contents folder [...]

The problem seems to be that MacOS X does not properly support the MacOS 9
package format, which I have almost never seen used anyway. Instead, it
supports a much stricter format (.app, Contents folder, plist as a file,
etc.). This format is documented somewhere, only I don't remember where
exactly (there was something in the MacOS X System Overview, IIRC).
If the app is in a package, it must be a MacOS X package and the plist needs
to be in a separate file in the Contents folder - if its a simple CFM
application file, it should be in the resource fork.

> [...] For this reason, the next beta will be a plain application again
[...]
That seems like a good idea - especially as POVRay also runs on MacOS 8.x.

Yours sincerely,

Wolfgang Thaller