POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Designing Sizes : Re: Designing Sizes Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:03:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Designing Sizes
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 26 Feb 2002 22:58:49
Message: <3c7c5979@news.povray.org>
Lieut_Data wrote in message <3c7bd78d$1@news.povray.org>...
>As a newcomer to raytracing and Povray, I am starting with simple objects.
>have an ultimate goal to recreate my office, but right now I am focusing on
>recreating my desk.
>
>I am wondering what is the best way to go about setting sizes of objects,
>etc...

I use an include file I made which has conversion factors for a wide variety
of units.  I simply include the file at the beginning of my scene, and then
I multiply the measurement by the name of the unit the measurement is in.
It defaults to 1 POV unit = 1 centimeter, but that can be changed, by
redefining the centimeter.  For example:

#declare cm = 1/100;    /* 1 POV unit = 1 meter */
#include "units.inc"
sphere{
    -5*y*feet, 67*inches
    pigment{ bozo scale feet }
    finish{reflection .5}
    translate x*-17*cm+y*2*yards
}
plane{y, -1*millimeters pigment{checker scale Decimeter}}
camera{location 0.0025*km look_at y*1000*1000*1000*Angstrom}
light_source{1, 93*1000*1000*miles}

The file's at http://www.geocities.com/Rengaw03/povray.html (called
Units.zip)

--