POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 24 Feb 2002 13:32:54
Message: <3c7931d6@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> In article <3c7924be@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
> wrote:
>
> >   So you prefer to have a white sphere which doesn't look antialiased at
all?

> Yes.
> Well, not precisely...a plain rgb 1 sphere with normal levels of
> lighting will render fine. But an object twice as bright should
> influence a pixel twice as much. You can work around a rgb 10 sphere not
> looking antialiased, you can't work around the values being clipped.

Having superbright objects influence their surroundings more than others
would mean, I believe, that ultrabright (>100?) objects would influence
larger and larger areas of the screen, which is not possible with the
current method.

Hmm, talking about color, how's this for an idea (warning: this is
tangential to the thread): store all image data as 64bit integers, with the
range 0-1 fitting in 24 or 32 bits.  Then, adjust the overall brightness of
the scene based on the brightest object?

...Chambers

---