POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 24 Feb 2002 13:23:17
Message: <3c792f95@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> In article <3c78cad6$1@news.povray.org>,
>  "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:
>
> > You can't talk about realistic. AA doesn't happen in nature... ;)
>
> It also seems unintuitive to me: you have a bunch of small stars, and
> antialiasing wipes them out because they don't cover whole pixels.

No matter how many "superbright" stars you have, you will have many ~more~
dark sky samples.  The answer is not to make the stars brighter, but to make
them bigger.  Have them cover at least a pixel.

If you really wanted to, you could make each star between 1/2 - 3 pixels on
a 640x480 screen, and use media-filled spheres instead of plain white dots,
to give a nice glowing effect that wouldn't look bad on higher resolutions
:)

...Chambers

---