POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Graph Paper Texture : Re: Graph Paper Texture Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:54:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graph Paper Texture
From: PeterC
Date: 24 Feb 2002 13:05:55
Message: <3c792bc6.6655393@localhost>
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:52:34 -0500, "Bill DeWitt"
<bde### [at] cflrrcom> wrote:

>    I really like my graphpaper background object macro (see "Graphpaper" in
>pbi), but it renders very slowly. I suspect it is the layered texture with
>large amounts of transparency. It also cannot be placed on an object as well
>as it does on the flat surfaces of my background. So I was looking for
>another way to do it. I think quilt is the most likely pattern, but I don't
>seem to be able to get a sharp enough curve. Is there a better way to do
>what I want?

I have recently been wrestling with this problem as well.
What seems to work the best for me is to declare a
function to get one direction of lines, then add
three copies of the function, each set to use
a different axes.  You might want to pop over to
the binaries scene files group and grab a posting
with the subject "ech_s12_drk_01.zip".  It
uses this technique to get 2d graph paper but I
see no reason why it can't be expanded to 3d graph
paper

Pete