POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Filling in T values in splines : Re: Filling in T values in splines Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filling in T values in splines
From: Rune
Date: 24 Feb 2002 11:49:45
Message: <3c7919a9@news.povray.org>
"Warp" wrote:
>   (Of course a more advanced option could make
> the macro to interpolate the T values non-linearly.)

I don't think I'll implement that. With both the T values and the points
being non-linearly interpolated, I'm not even able to figure out in my head
in what way the results would be different. And non-linearly interpolation
of strongly varying T values could cause the T values to go backwards at
times, which would mess up everything.

>   As for evenly-distributed points along the spline,
> I think that the only feasible way of doing that is
> to make a macro which returns points for the given
> spline (in the same way as the Colefax include does).

I've done that before and it's not that slow. However, a solution I'd like
to try is to return a new spline which has many more control points than the
original and where those control points are arranged to give constant speed.
This too is just an approximation, but it would be faster, as the
calculations would only need to be done once, and it could also be made
completely transparent to the user, who will call the spline like normal,
without the need for macros once the spline has been created.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)