POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Rune
Date: 23 Feb 2002 19:01:00
Message: <3c782d3c@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" wrote:
> This reminds me...are the colors clipped before or
> after antialiasing?
> It should be after...a "superbright" object (rgb > 1)
> should contribute more to a pixel than a dim (rgb 1) one.

It is clipped before AA and there's a good reason.

Suppose you have a really bright sphere (the sun). All pixels that hit the
sun would be completely white no matter if the sun occupies a small or big
amount of the pixel, simply because the high brightness would dominate in
the average. The result would be that very bright objects would not look
antialiased at all no matter how high quality AA settings you used.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)