POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Micha Riser
Date: 23 Feb 2002 18:37:51
Message: <3c7827cd@news.povray.org>
Jan Walzer wrote:

>> See http://www.povworld.org/povray/aatest.html . Note that the servers
>> bandwith is quite limited.
>
> So what can we conclude ?
>
> 1. These Scenes _are_ hard nuts for AA

Sure.

> 2. Your method _CAN_ improve the visual quality by taking not to much
> samples ... (under circumstances)
> 2'. But it can also be that it makes the result even worse ...

Well, my method is based on method 2, that is also adaptive. If you compare
it with the standart method 2, my new implementations do always equally or
better. (sure one could contruct a scene where this is not the case)

> 2". The result depends on the choosen AA-Method; There's no "Best-Of" ...

I have been a bit surprised how god method 1 actually performed.. as it is
really simple.

> 3. POV Raytracing works in a diskreet world where it's hard to simulate
> the continueity of the pure math ...
> ... leading to:
> 4. proving (of course, not a mathiematical proove) right, with my former
> statement, that every known AA-Algo can be broken with a scene ...
>
> ... at least if you consider the resolution to be independend ...

This is certainly true.. but the worst case scenario is here certainly not
allowed to be the criterion.

> BUT: Good work ... I think we needed something like that ...

Thanks.