POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : displacement mapping : Re: displacement mapping Server Time
7 May 2024 08:44:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: displacement mapping
From: John Bradshaw
Date: 21 Feb 2002 00:48:17
Message: <3c748a21@news.povray.org>
> If ideal solution could be easy it would be done probably.

That's what I was afraid of.

> b) aproximation - slow parse and fast render - store vertices of mesh in
> array, displace in loop, create final mesh

 Sounds like a lot of work. I might as well just write a displacement shader
and use povman (hey that's not such a bad idea--maybe I'll try that).
Although writing a displacement shader might not be kiddie play either. And
maybe displacement shaders don't work in povman (never used povman).

> All this tesselation stuff p.u.p, mesh manipulation things are small steps
in
> a way towards displacement maping.

I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.