POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what is a spline : Re: what is a spline Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:59:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what is a spline
From: Felix Wiemann
Date: 18 Feb 2002 13:52:00
Message: <3c714d50@news.povray.org>
> > > Is it an object (becouse of shape)?
> > No, there is no shape!
> it does the same what parametric object, in given range of
> parameter results coordinates
But using the parametric object directly creates a shape, using a spline
doesn't create a shape. (I don't know what I'm talking about, so please
correct me, if I'm wrong.)

> > > Is it a data type (becouse appear in declarations)?
> > Of course.
> so what is content of this data ?
> type of spline ?
> values for entries ?
> results for parameter? (infinite data type?)
Type of spline and values for entries.

> > > Is it a data structure (becouse store points at entries)?
> > Not really, because not only the declared entries can be adressed.
> in a list when you adress entry outside range of index then you just
recive
> NULL, it's empty result but result
A list? Which language?

> > > Is it a programing structure (becouse it is way of declaring
function)?
> > No, because it isn't programable by the user.
> you can influence output with specified list of tools: adding entry and
> changing type
Do you mean user defined functions?
They are completely programable by the user.
Or do you mean predefined functions?
Spline are declared at parsing time, so they can't be predefined.

But perhaps splines are predefined (because of the predefined algorithm) and
user defined (because they are declared at parsing time) functions. A
function is a data type, so I think, the answer could be:
A spline is a data type and a function.

Felix