POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : anti-aliasing : Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 17 Feb 2002 16:44:08
Message: <3c702428$1@news.povray.org>
> To put it in a wierd way: what you request is allmost that what povray
> does. The only difference beeing: povray's AA triggers on color
> changes, not on ray-hits-different-object.
> After a "trigger condition" is detected, a search process startes by
> shooting more and more rays to get the location of the trigger
> condition more precise.
I know, I was just proposing a different kind of "trigger condition" to have a
different anti-aliasing effect.

> That means: one could consider to change povray, so that it starts AA,
> if the next intersection hit on a different object than the previous
> one. But in most cases, detection of object changing is a weaker
> condition than detecting a color change (because the latter can also
> happen by texturing, lighting or media). So, if color-change-triggerd
> AA is not satisfactory in some cases, I would guess,
> object-change-triggerd AA will be as well not satisfactory in
> even more cases.
No, it indeed wouldn't be a good technique to anti-alias textures and lighting,
but isn't this thread about the anti-aliasing of the edges of objects?
And maybe, if you combine the current technique and this technique, you get
better results?

> Maybe it will detect the border of a black cat in the night :-)
hmmm, true, it would indeed anti-alias in places where it's absolutely not
necessary...

> So, maybe the best way would be, to go on and hack povray
> to try it out.
I'm not a programmer, I wouldn't now where to start.

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1