POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how do I make a closed spline? : Re: how do I make a closed spline?) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:56:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how do I make a closed spline?)
From: Rune
Date: 17 Feb 2002 10:22:18
Message: <3c6fcaaa@news.povray.org>

> ... so the only way to get it smooth is to define
> it in a way, that the curvature goes down to zero
> near the first and last control points (if you want
> to connect it at this points)

Zero curvature at the start and at the end is not the issue. Zero curvature
*between* the start and the end is the issue! If you have two straight lines
in a 10 degree angle, both lines have zero curvature, but the connection
between them certainly isn't smooth. The problem is how to make the tangents
the same at the connection point.

> Thus, a trick would be to "go round byond the end point".
> I.e to use a additional control point that is identical with
> the second point on the curve.

I thought this was exactly what I had done in my example code?

> hope, this is aplicable to your problem.

I didn't understand you. I would appreciate if you could look at my example
code and show me how to change it to get a smooth connection.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)