POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cubic spline question : Re: Cubic spline question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cubic spline question
From: Rune
Date: 17 Feb 2002 07:07:22
Message: <3c6f9cfa@news.povray.org>
"ingo" wrote:
> Also IMO in the spheresweep the camul_rom_spline keyword
> should be replaced by cubic_spline. In the docs we can
> then make clear that what is called a cubic spline in
> POV-Ray is the catmull-rom spline.

I agree this would be a good idea.

However, another option would be to use the keyword catmull_rom_spline
everywhere that spline type is used, including in prisms. That might be a
more logical choice if more than one type of cubic splines are implemented
in POV-Ray. cubic_spline used in prisms should still be a valid keyword for
backwards compatibility, but should work the same way as catmull_rom_spline.

In spline{} and sphere_sweep{} the keyword cubic_spline shouldn't be allowed
at all (as there's no backwards compatibility issue), and instead the
keywords catmull_rom_spline and perhaps natural_cubic_spline or something
like that should be used instead.

This is just a suggestion.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)