POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Where is max_gradient in Message window? : Re: Where is max_gradient in Message window? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is max_gradient in Message window?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 Feb 2002 13:12:38
Message: <3c6ea116@news.povray.org>
In article <3c6e9304@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   AFAIK evaluate is more or less obsolete as povray warns you about a wrong
> max_gradient regardless of whether you have specified evaluate or not.
>   If povray doesn't tell anything about max_gradient, it probably means
> that the max_gradient you have specified is correct enough.

This is not completely correct.  The current warning will only be shown if
evaluate is off.  The warnings are off when evaluate is used since beta 10
until some of the problems with it with evaluate on have been corrected.  The
documentation has not been updated yet regarding any of these changes - it
still makes it look like evaluate is mandatory or necessary.  This is not the
case for almost all scenes now.  Using max_gradient, and _only_ max_gradient
is sufficient.

For a beginner, I strongly recommend to ignore evaluate now.  Just _not_
adding it to any scene is sufficient.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde