POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another Spline Inconsistency : Another Spline Inconsistency Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:56:00 EDT (-0400)
  Another Spline Inconsistency
From: Rune
Date: 16 Feb 2002 06:54:39
Message: <3c6e487f@news.povray.org>
As shown in my post "Cubic spline question" the cubic spline used in
spline{} is completely different from the cubic spline used in prisms, yet
they go under the same name.

In this post I'll show a case of the opposite - two identical splines go
under completely different names.

The catmull_rom_spline used in sphere_sweeps is in fact exactly identical to
the cubic_spline used in prisms. Why do they have different names? I don't
know. It dates back to MegaPov of course, but POV-Ray 3.5 is not MegaPov.
Well, at least it should be rather easy to fix as it's just a matter of
changing the keyword I would think. The code below illustrates that the two
spline types are in fact the same.

camera {location 10*y look_at 0}
light_source {1000*y, color 1}
plane {y, 0 pigment {checker rgb 1.0, rgb 0.9}}
sphere_sweep {
   catmull_rom_spline
   8,
   <-2,0, 0>, 0.02,