POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Newsgroups web interface issue : Re: Newsgroups web interface issue Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:57:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newsgroups web interface issue
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 Feb 2002 05:47:20
Message: <3c6e38b8@news.povray.org>
In article <3c6e124e$1@news.povray.org> , "Ari-Matti Leppanen"
<ari### [at] tutfi> wrote:

> I think this is because the site refreshes itself automagically so you don't
> have to see if there are new posts. If you take a look at the
> Big-And-Scary-Cookies you'll find a POVWebNGTimer -cookie which I guess
> defines the time the page is valid and when the browser should refresh.
> Or something like that.. I'm no web expert. I thought there would be a
> Expires tag in the html-head, but I guess the same thing can be done with
> cookies.

No, that cookie is for something else.  It is used to limit a user's ability
to grap the whole server contents with some tools.

The refresh is only possible with HTML meta tags (take a look at the top of
the HTML).  The site also uses expire HTTP headers as appropriate (the rules
are somewhat complicated so I won't go into details here).

> But anyway when your offline the browser still tries to obey orders and
> download a newer version of the page because they expire in x seconds.

Newer IE browsers should have an option like "Don't dial automatically" or
something called like that.  Not sure where the option is, but it basically
keeps your browser from opening connections while offline.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde