POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Newsgroups web interface issue : Re: Newsgroups web interface issue Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:03:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newsgroups web interface issue
From: Ari-Matti Leppanen
Date: 16 Feb 2002 03:03:26
Message: <3c6e124e$1@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
> Whenever I read a message (any message) through the web interface of > the
newsgroups and then go off-line and keeps the browser window
> open, after some minutes I get the error message:
>
>    Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site
>    http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/18740/.
>
>    The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> And the window is blank. if I want to read the message again I have
> to go online again before I can refresh the page. As I work mostly
> off-line, this
> is rather problematic to me.

I think this is because the site refreshes itself automagically so you don't
have to see if there are new posts. If you take a look at the
Big-And-Scary-Cookies you'll find a POVWebNGTimer -cookie which I guess
defines the time the page is valid and when the browser should refresh.
Or something like that.. I'm no web expert. I thought there would be a
Expires tag in the html-head, but I guess the same thing can be done with
cookies.

But anyway when your offline the browser still tries to obey orders and
download a newer version of the page because they expire in x seconds.

Ari-Matti