POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG speed question : Re: CSG speed question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG speed question
From: Hugo
Date: 14 Feb 2002 19:00:58
Message: <3c6c4fba@news.povray.org>
By the way... You mentioned that you "nest" the CSG... Well, maybe this is
not what you meant, BUT ... if you mean that for example you nest all
objects inside a "difference" statement, you have a problem! I'm quite sure
Povray will then calculate ALL the objects you've nested, for ALL pixels (so
to say..) on screen ..... and this will give a crazy render time.. Normally,
objects are only calculated at the place on the screen where they appear,
and this is a major speed-up.. Objects should only be nested when
*necessary* ... or you can put them safely in a "union" because this doesn't
have a negative impact on the speed.

Hope I made myself clear ... english is not my native language, but this is
important for you to know ... if you don't know it already.

Regards,
Hugo