POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG speed question : Re: CSG speed question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG speed question
From: Hugo
Date: 14 Feb 2002 18:49:05
Message: <3c6c4cf1$1@news.povray.org>
> It's more of a general question, as I have a large number of instances
> wherein if discreet CSGs are faster, then the whole scene will be
> sped up,

If you're referring to your Orca image, I can say there's definitely
something wrong with the render-time.. I don't use Moray however so I don't
know how much control it provides you with CSG.. But I can say, in general
you should stay away from "merge" and use "union" instead.. Merge is only
for transparant objects and much slower, in most cases.. You should also
avoid "difference" "intersection" when you can get away with pure
primitives.. OR, if Moray can transform your CSG shapes into meshes, you
should perhaps consider this because meshes are fast.

This makes a BIG difference. Personally I always stick to this rule, that
serves me well:  I can use lots of pure primitives (several thousands is no
problem, they render fast!), and lots of mesh data, but NOT much of
"difference", "merge" and "intersection"..

Regards,
Hugo