POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : anti-aliasing : Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 13 Feb 2002 15:04:06
Message: <3c6ac6b6@news.povray.org>
news:3c6aa79b@news.povray.org...
> Tony[B] <ben### [at] catholicorg> wrote:
> : Has the Team ever considered adding more AA methods? It'd be nice if you
> : found one that handled very thin lines a little better.
>
>   You are welcome to suggest an algorithm for that.

Simplified version (for the final viewing plane):
Check the object's bounding hierarchy for the maximum and minimum elevations
above the horizon, as well as the rotations from center.  Plot as a box.
AFAIK, this is the method used for visa buffer.
If a pixel is within the box, but it's neighbor is not, supersample between
them.  If a box lies entirely between the two pixels, supersample them.
If both pixels are within the box, one hits the object and the other does
not, supersample between them.

The current sampling method is color based, and works to ensure all portions
of the screen look nice.  This method, being intersection based, deals with
edges / small objects very nicely, but will not address aliased textures.

BTW, this is off the top of my head, I don't know if it is really practical
or if it has even been previously published (just seems to make sense to
me).

...Chambers