POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : anti-aliasing : Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Feb 2002 13:39:01
Message: <3c6ab2c5@news.povray.org>
In article <chr### [at] netplexaussieorg> , Christopher
James Huff <chr### [at] maccom>  wrote:

> Hmm...sample initially in a cross or x pattern to find out if a thin
> object goes through the pixel?

Won't work well:  Remember that the ray is infinitely thin, so you will have
some spacing between rays.  Of course, you can make the sampling so small that
is scratches floating-point precision, but I doubt this would really improve
quality.

What can be done with every object with a known surface is to find a few
points on the surface and then start sampling from there (so doing AA with
superpixels first).  It would work for all objects with a single surface or a
number of parts/surfaces assuming you can supply one point for each of them.
However, I don't even want to make any guess about the speed to expect from
such a method.  Not to mention it would only work (in finite time) for primary
rays.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde