POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : Time for eBooks? : Re: Time for eBooks? Server Time
18 May 2024 19:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time for eBooks?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 8 Feb 2002 23:25:37
Message: <3c64a4c1@news.povray.org>
"Mitchell Waite" <mit### [at] dnaicom> wrote in message
> Question for this group. How do you feel about a book in a PDF format and

While others have covered this topic, I still feel uncomfortable about this.
PDF's are just too easy to 'share'. Yes, people can scan real books too, but
IMO giving someone a book in electronic form just makes it too easy.

> how do you feel about buying eBooks vs paper based books. Check out

As others have pointed out, most folk don't like reading electronic books in
front of a monitor. I've even gone to the trouble of getting the duplexer
attachment for my inkjet so I can easily print out technical documents I get
sent from time to time. It's horribly slow but at least works.

Most folks would want to get a hard-copy, but to do that well, at home, is
difficult for any book of reasonable size (at least, if you want to duplex
it).

Personally I have my doubts about putting commercial POV-Ray books in eBook
form. The docs are free and do a reasonable job (at least in my opinion) and
already occupy that niche.

-- Chris