POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : where to find ebooks : Re: where to find ebooks Server Time
8 May 2024 14:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: where to find ebooks
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 7 Feb 2002 09:50:30
Message: <3c629436@news.povray.org>
"Michael Andrews" <M.C### [at] readingacuk> wrote :

> So I guess (in my case at least) the
> library's having the desired effect :-)

    Having had to give away hundreds of books in my life to make room for
more, I have finally learned to only keep books that I will definitely read
more than once. The books I keep in my house have to be books I will want to
read every couple of years or so. I make exceptions when several books by an
author are re-readable, I will then make sure I have every thing published
by him just to make it a collection.

    So in the last 20 years my book buying has slowed down, but I buy more
hardbacks and spend more money. If a publisher wants to get my money, they
will have to produce a high quality book by a good author. I almost bought a
book at Christmas but it turns out the publisher sent it out with poorly cut
pages. I would rather wait for the paperback and hope for a re-publication
later.

    So if a publisher has 20 or 30 books a year they want to offer, either
they will have to wait until I get my turn at them in the library or they
should publish an e-book. Once I read it for free, either way, I will make
my decision to buy. I am probably only going to buy one or two of those
books, but without an e-book it may be years before I do and I will buy it
at a discount instead of the full price. I may miss it altogether. Their
loss, as there is always another publisher's book to read.