POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half-toning : Re: Half-toning Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Half-toning
From: Rune
Date: 3 Feb 2002 10:35:45
Message: <3c5d58d1@news.povray.org>
"Kari Kivisalo" wrote:
> The interesting part is how to orient the pen strokes.
> I used blurred image as hf and with trace found the
> direction of the contour line at that point.

I *knew* a heightfield was involved! ;)

How many cylinders in the scene? Render time? AA settings? And were all the
cylinders black or did they very in color dependent on intensity?

BTW, I'd be interested in seeing the result if you rotated all the cylinders
by 90 degrees. Would make for a less harmonic and more spiky image I'm sure.
45 degrees might also be interesting. :)

> More interesting stuff can be done if the range data
> is available for the image like in pov. First render
> a scene as normal image. Then output depth image,
> blur it and use as hf. The brush strokes should follow
> the surfaces or something like that.

I don't think that would be as visually interesting. The great thing about
the current image is that it looks very hand-crafted, like it wasn't made by
a computer. Something difficult to obtain.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Jan 20)