POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : Time for eBooks? : Re: Time for eBooks? Server Time
5 May 2024 08:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time for eBooks?
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 2 Feb 2002 12:49:04
Message: <3c5c2690@news.povray.org>
"Mitchell Waite" <mit### [at] dnaicom> wrote :

> Question for this group. How do you feel about a book in a PDF format

    I love e-books, especially for manuals. But I hate PDF for them. HTML is
much more flexible and the problems of different display on different
browsers can be reduced with a little work. PDF is mostly used by ebook
authors to prevent copyright theft, but that has been shown to be a
non-solution to a non-issue. The advantages of HTML as far as editing,
updating, and annotating far surpass any deficits.

    I am -much- more likely to buy a manual if it has the entire book on
disc included. In fact, if it does, I am likely to ignore the printed
version and read the book as an ebook.

    But, as you say, paper is not dead. When I am reading something I am
likely to print out parts the way some people highlight sections. A couple
of things I have ended up printing the whole book.

    I am still looking for a good cheap ebook reader though...