POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bolts : Re: Bolts (POV image attatched) 30KB Server Time
19 May 2024 04:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bolts (POV image attatched) 30KB
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 2 Feb 2002 05:46:47
Message: <3c5bc397@news.povray.org>
Andrew Cocker wrote:

> Damn.. that's SO much better than mine :-(
>
> Well done.

  Thanks Andy (and all), but as Hugo said, your is also very well done, and
has some things better. I also like specially your focal blur, mine is
somewhat strange and does not seem to follow the camera zoom.

> How did you make the bolts, especially the indentations?

union{
 intersection{
  union{
   cylinder{<0,-.3,0>,<0,.3,0>,.6}
   torus{.6,.3}
  }
  plane{z,.72}
  plane{z,-.72 inverse}
  plane{x,0 rotate 30*y inverse translate -.82*x}
  plane{x,0 rotate -30*y inverse translate -.82*x}
  plane{x,0 rotate 30*y translate .82*x}
  plane{x,0 rotate -30*y translate .82*x}
 }
 height_field{
  png "hf_bolt"
  smooth
  water_level 0.1
  translate -.5
  scale <1.3,.1,1.3>
  translate <0,.27,0>
 }
}

  The height_field is the nice lettering on the top (which of course says
"POV-RAY"), and is done with The Gimp, puting white letters in circle on
black background and blurring it a bit.

  There are also some facts about the image I forgot to mention:

  + To get the feeling from Brazil, I used a double CD from Joao Gilberto.

  + The image uses Kari rad settings from the cornell box scene, with the
count lowered a bit.

  + The focal blur uses Warp recommendation of variance 0.

  + The metal texture uses an averaged normal (only the normal) from 4
patterns at diferent scales, and a "procedural" image_map "a la Tran".

  + The light is created with my new macro, wich uses basically
fade_distance 1 fade_power 2 and the light color is multiplied by a very
high value (about 3600 for this one).

  + Render time was 7h... !

  I promise to release the light macro this weekend, mainly because I want
some feedback about all my (surely wrong) assumptions creating it.

  Bye...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia