POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bolts : Re: Bolts (BRAZIL image attatched) Server Time
26 May 2024 17:55:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bolts (BRAZIL image attatched)
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 31 Jan 2002 06:49:42
Message: <3c592f56@news.povray.org>
"Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> I refuse to think any other renderer can do better than Pov, so we must
find
> a solution to this! I've tried to make realistic bolts myself without much
> luck.. Hmm.. First of all, could you point me to your reference picture?

See attatched picture

> As you said, more contrast would be good.. Maybe some more specular
> reflection wouldn't be unrealistic because in real life, the dusty look
does
> not have to be *everywhere* on the bolt.. Some parts are typically quite
> shiny, because they have been scratched.

Specular is turned on, but my textures are all messed up and need reworking.
My 'dirt' looks nothing like dirt.. too smooth (on the block base)

> And do I see a line from one end of the bolt to the other, like it's a
> screw?  Is that line supposed to be there?  If so, make it deeper.

That's supposed to be scratches on the surface.. just a scaled normal.

> If you want to keep such a closeup view, I'm afraid blurred reflection
will
> be necessary.

Yes.. good point. I have lost the example code for blurred textures that was
posted recently. I'll try and locate it.

All the best,

Andy Cocker

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: