POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bolts : Re: Bolts Server Time
6 May 2024 04:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bolts
From: Hugo
Date: 30 Jan 2002 09:34:49
Message: <3c580489$1@news.povray.org>
> This piece was inspired by a BRAZIL render - maybe some of you have seen
it.
> If so, you'll be able to see that mine comes nowhere near the
> photorealistism of that work. Mine is definitely a WIP. I don't like the
> textures, nor can I even approach the contrast from dark to light of the

I refuse to think any other renderer can do better than Pov, so we must find
a solution to this! I've tried to make realistic bolts myself without much
luck.. Hmm.. First of all, could you point me to your reference picture?

As you said, more contrast would be good.. Maybe some more specular
reflection wouldn't be unrealistic because in real life, the dusty look does
not have to be *everywhere* on the bolt.. Some parts are typically quite
shiny, because they have been scratched.

And do I see a line from one end of the bolt to the other, like it's a
screw?  Is that line supposed to be there?  If so, make it deeper.

If you want to keep such a closeup view, I'm afraid blurred reflection will
be necessary.

Regards,
Hugo