POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : finish_map and layered textures : Re: finish_map and layered textures Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: finish_map and layered textures
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 Jan 2002 16:23:31
Message: <3c5712d3@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom> , Ron Parker
<ron### [at] povrayorg>  wrote:

> I wonder why you wonder.  Perhaps it's because the people who want it and
> the people who would implement it aren't the same people.  The patches that
> are in MegaPOV, and to some extent the features that are in POV itself, are
> not there because some user or group of users wanted them.  They're there
> because some programmer thought they'd be useful, or fun to implement, or
> interesting to play with.

There are also history reasons.  It didn't make sense until 3.1 in the first
place, as <http://www.povray.org/working-docs/id000174.html#6_6_1> explains
finish originally contained things that didn't exactly were finishes and that
could not be applied in any useful way.  Of course, as this problem has been
fixed in 3.1 there is no reason not to have a finish map, except that it is
rarely needed and can be created (as pointed out here already) with texture
maps.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde