POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 29 Jan 2002 09:23:22
Message: <3c56b05a$1@news.povray.org>
> : it's more fun,
>   Not in the long run.
>   If you find yourself using a special feature over and over again, you
> probably will make your own include file in order to avoid writing the same
> thing many times. This is not much different from just using a standard include
> file.
but you have written it yourself in that case.  That's what matters to me.  And if you
write things yourself, you have absolute comprehension of the code (probably anyway),
and
that helps when using it.

> : and the results are more your own.
>   Well, in an extreme case you shouldn't use povray at all then, but write
> your own raytracer. Then the results will really be your own.
I know :)
But that's a little too extreme, even for me :)

>   Why is it ok to use 'rotate' or 'scale', but it's not ok to use
> 'Reorient_Trans' just because it's in an include file instead of being an
> internal keyword? I don't understand.
it is ok, like I said.  I was more talking about textures and things like that.  Those
are
things I rather make myself.

>   If 'Reorient_Trans' was in internal feature instead of being a macro, would
> it then be ok to use it? Why? What's the difference?
there is no difference.  In the contrary: it's better when things are macros, so I
don't
have to download the source to see how it works.

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1