POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 29 Jan 2002 08:16:19
Message: <3c56a0a3$1@news.povray.org>
>   There are only pigment functions, which is a bit different beast.
In what way?  As I see it, you can do a lot more with pigments than with patterns.

>   Note that you can also use pigment functions in pov3.5, but it's more
> versatile: You can not only get the gray value of the pigment as its value,
> but also any of the color channels or even a hf value.
Ok, that's a good thing indeed.

>   I also forgot to mention that in megapov you can only have 3 parameters to
> functions, while in pov3.5 you can have any number of parameters from 1 to
> some bigger value (which I don't remember). This means that you can do things
> like, for example:
>
> #declare MyFunction = function(x,y,z,s) { s*(sin(x)*sin(y)*sin(z))^2 }
>
> and then use it like for example:
>
>   pigment
>   { function { MyFunction(x,y,z,(x+y)^2) }
>     color_map { [0 rgb 0][.5 rgb x][1 rgb 1] }
>   }
cool!
Now add the missing features from MegaPov, and i'm all for it! :)

> :> behaviour outside the range 0-1,
> : they have changed the transmit behaviour outside the range 0-1 ???
> : :(
> : I liked it the way it was...
>   Really? Do you know how it was previously? It was pretty illogical and didn't
> make much sense.
actually it seemed to make a lot of sense to me.  I don't know exactly how it worked,
but
I do know that I used it once to create a special effect.

> :> support for reading JPEG and TIFF,
> : useful, but not reason enough to use 3.5 instead of MegaPov.  Not for me at least.
>   If you are ever going to use imported 3DS files, you'll probably appreciate
> the JPEG support, as 3DS textures are often given in JPEG format.
Hmmm, I'm one of those who makes everything himself.  I don't use 3DS-files, because I
don't have 3DS :)

>   Other big advantages include the new windows editor, which is much nicer,
> the greatly improved documentation and the greatly improved include files.
A good POVver no longer needs the documentation :)
And again: I never used the include files bundled with POV-Ray.
And what's so special about the new editor, actually?

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1