POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : simulating lens distortion : simulating lens distortion Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:27:46 EDT (-0400)
  simulating lens distortion
From: Bill Brehm
Date: 29 Jan 2002 00:04:40
Message: <3c562d68@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I hope I'm not doing something wrong with this post. I tried responding to a
branch of messages that I started, but it was after several days. It didn't
get any answers and I'm afraid it might have been lost with older messages
off the bottom of everyone's screen.

I had asked about a way to simulate lens distortion, particularly pincushion
and barrel distortions that are common in inexpensive camera lenses.

Someone mentioned using normal_map, slope_map, etc. Someone else mentioned a
link  http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1999-12-31/dmmonet.jpg that
demonstrated this. (Sorry, I don't have a record of whom to give credit.)
The Monet picture uses color_maps, but not normal_maps or slope_maps. I
rendered the image both with and without the color_maps. I can certainly see
a difference, but obviously only in the colors and not in the positions of
the objects.

I've played with normal_maps and slope_maps that I've found in other
examples, but can't seem to get them to make any change in the image.

Does anyone know of any examples that I can download to experiment with
images that are distorted by normal_maps and slope_maps?

Can anyone provide a simple example, say a cube that is distorted with
pincushion or barrel distortion?

To reiterate my purpose from my earlier post, I need a scene of known
objects that are distorted. That will be fed into some software to determine
the characteristics of the distortion. That information will later be
applied to images that are distorted the same amount, to determine the true
location and size of unknown objects.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Bill