POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My ideas : Re: My ideas Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My ideas
From: Mitchell Waite
Date: 22 Jan 2002 11:13:29
Message: <3c4d8fa9$1@news.povray.org>
I think that the competition that is here today was around years ago. The
fact that there is more competition just means the market is healthy, not
unhealthy. 3DStudio was the commercial program of choice when we first
published our POV Ray book and there where others like it. That did not stop
people from buying the book. The reason that POV Ray can't be compared to
these other products is that its free, it has a huge following of users that
are available to help in all kinds of ways, it has a huge number of macros,
utilities, materials, tutorials, and other items that make it a great place
to learn about the subject of CG. Sure people will graduate to commercial
products, but that does not take away from the idea that there is a market
for this product. Indeed if you think about it, the real competition to any
commercial POV Ray venture is the built in documentation that comes with POV
Ray.

news:3C4### [at] applesnakenet...