POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My ideas : Re: My ideas Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My ideas
From: Mitchell Waite
Date: 21 Jan 2002 10:46:08
Message: <3c4c37c0@news.povray.org>
Randy and others:

Thanks for that vote of confidence. Ultimately I will follow my instincts,
but the reason I am asking the group for feedback is in fact to do my market
research. When first published Ray Tracing Creations there was only a very
tiny mailing list and Drew Wells and I had to send a lot of emails to
discover what the expectations of our users might be, still in the end we
did what we felt was best at that time.

Its clear that POV Ray has done a lot of growing up in the last 6 years
since I published that book, and what it can now do as a procedural language
far exceeds what I ever expected. There are many possible approaches one
could take to a book on POV Ray, and there are probably several volumes one
could publish. We could take the approach that the SDL is a general purpose
language and write a primer on its statements and functions, or we could
focus just the fundamentals of ray tracing and don't go so deep into the
SDL, or we could use Moray to bootstrap the reader so that they are
productive early in the text, then dive into the language statements in more
depth (hoping we have not lost those Moray users to the crutch it provides).
We could use Hamapatch or Povlab instead of Moray or in addition to Moray.

As I look and listen I am beginning to see a structure that will satisfy
everyone which involves more of a spiral approach that winds though the
learning space in a way that all the major topics are presented but
sometimes more than once. I used this approach in Basic Programming Primer
and in C Primer Plus and the with Lafore in Object Oriented Programming in
C++ and the last two of those are still in print after about 5 editions, so
I know that works. I also see that this would not be a small book, the
Materials Editor alone could be a huge chapter, maybe a book by itself. This
might end up being a POV Ray Bible rather than a Primer.

Those are my thoughts and feelings for today, however I am still
investigating. BTW I tried Hamapatch and did not find it anywhere as refined
and complete as Moray. Povlab is a DOS program and I just can't see time
traveling backwards on this book. The idea of writing procedures that do
other things than ray trace with the SDL is clever and cute and might be
worth a few pages to show its flexibility but I don't think diving into that
capability makes any sense right now.

I very much appreciate all the great feedback and ideas that have been
generated by the group. Thanks!

Mitch

news:3C4### [at] iquestnet...