POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fogs : Re: Fogs Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:33:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fogs
From: bob h
Date: 16 Jan 2002 15:47:40
Message: <3c45e6ec@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> "Slime" <noo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > If real fog consists only of absorption, then how come it doesn't become
> > black on the horizon? Or does it? (I live in a wooded area, so I can't
tell
> > =)
>
> Off-hand, I'd say the answer is because it doesn't consist only of
absorption,
> if any. Scattering via reflection and difraction is a (RL) fogs main
attribute.

Yes, at some distance and thickness of fog you never see through it and only
see the fog itself at some point.  If in RL it only absorbed light it would
go black I guess, if only emitted it would go white.
Anyway, have you tried fade_distance for the light_source?  Together with
media_attenuation in that light to fade out the media might work, and try
leaving out the absorption part.

bob h