POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : reflections, trace and isos : Re: reflections, trace and isos Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflections, trace and isos
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 11 Jan 2002 07:20:30
Message: <3c3ed88e@news.povray.org>
R. Suzuki schrieb in Nachricht <3c3ec00d@news.povray.org>...

>That is for non-intersecting rays.  The cache is especially effective to
>small(or thin) isosurfaces in a large isosurface container.

That is, if you have a "fitting" container-object the cache does not help
that much? Now I understand why the cache-hit percentage is often quite low
with rawly poxed shaped objects.

>This cache technique uses a function value of the previous ray and
eliminates
>unnecessary calculation.

And couldn't this cache not be saved and reloaded (both at will and command
of the user), to eliminate the need of recalculating all these missing rays?
Or is nothing saved and only the function value of the one previous ray is
stored and used?

Marc-Hendrik