POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Athlon XP or P4? : Re: Athlon XP or P4? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Athlon XP or P4?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 8 Jan 2002 07:37:46
Message: <3c3ae81a@news.povray.org>
Alf Peake wrote:

> Athlon fits both requirements now. I'm not too sure about its
> reliability but suspect that is due to false economy with the CPU fan.

  You hit one of the keys on a AMD Athlon system. The other is the P/S.
Look at AMD site and be sure the system you are buying has CPU fan and P/S
according to the recomendations. It's very important, as I know *NOW* by
own experience (CPU burning literally). Fortunately, I managed to get all
replaced in warranty, and with the proper specifications. Now it is fast
and reliable, altought no yet so cheap (but still cheaper than Intel at
same performance, IMHO).

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia