POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Athlon XP or P4? : Re: Athlon XP or P4? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Athlon XP or P4?
From: bob h
Date: 7 Jan 2002 11:13:52
Message: <3c39c940$1@news.povray.org>
"Alf Peake" <alf### [at] peake42freeservecouk> wrote in message
> Just found this, probably old-news for some, which uses ntreal.pov and
> chess2.pov:
>
> http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/athlonxp-1900/index.x?pg=5
>
> Working myself up for a rebuild and having always used Intel, I'm now
> convincing myself that perhaps an Athlon is worth a try this time.

I seriously considered Athlon when I finally got a notebook computer but it
was just plain unavailable for what I could manage to buy (DELL) and still
get all the stuff I wanted to go into one.

That benchmarking sure shows how must the compiler trims times down.  And of
course Athlon proves to be the chip with a significant difference.  I'd
really like to see that kind of improvement in person so I could believe it
once and for all.

bob h