POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Heat Shimmer / exhaust : Heat Shimmer / exhaust Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:02:11 EDT (-0400)
  Heat Shimmer / exhaust
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 31 Dec 2001 18:51:10
Message: <3c30f9ee@news.povray.org>
Folks:

  I'm animating a nuclear powered tank (an "Ogre", www.sjgames.com, or like
Keith Laumer's "Bolo" series).  These are supposedly nuclear powered, rather
large (2-3 highway lanes wide) and rather heavy.

  I'm trying to show a 'heat shimmer' from the rear portion of the body -
the miniatures show a series of grills inthe back and my theory is that it
sucks air into intakes and uses it to cool the reactor.  So - no smoke, just
a 'shimmer'.   I've poked around in the groups here but haven't really seen
anything.

  I was thinking of using some kind of very high IOR clear material in a
cone, and animate it with 'turbulence', although the IOR would have to vary
(decrease) as it got 'higher', not sure if that will work.  I guess I could
make an ISO surface with a clear IOR material also, although that might be
slow.

  Thoughts?

                  == John ==