POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloth and Curtains : Re: Cloth and Curtains Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloth and Curtains
From: Tom Melly
Date: 28 Dec 2001 05:25:03
Message: <3c2c487f@news.povray.org>
"Jon Berndt" <jsb### [at] hal-pcorg> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me to resources that explain or enable one to raytrace
> cloth/curtains?
>
> Jon

For a nice velvet material (well HE calls it fur, but what does he know, he only
wrote the code), try Rune's website:
http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/3d/goodies/goodies.html

For modelling curtains etc. you can either use height-fields, bicubic-patches
or, if you use the 3.5 beta or megapov, isosurfaces.

For patches, you need a modeller. Popular modellers are spatch
http://www.geocities.com/getspatch/index.html
and hamapatch
http://www.geocities.com/hamapatch/program/index.html
(hama is a jap. program, but includes a eng. install iirc - the above page is
eng. with a good set of hama links).

Personally, I would recommend isosurfaces for simple surfaces such as curtains
or cushions, but patches for more complex shapes such as shaped cushions etc.

The advantage of isosurfaces is that you can deform the surface with noise (aka
wrinkled material) as well as defining the folds etc.

Basically, if you like mucking about with math, then use isos, otherwise, if you
prefer modelling with a mouse go with hama or spatch (IMHO)